market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Surround WP for corn earworm control

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Bill Huhman <bill AT farmerbill.downhomecountry.info>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Surround WP for corn earworm control
  • Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 22:52:42 -0400

At 10:36 PM 9/7/2004, you wrote:
For the past several years, I have reluctantly relented to using an
insecticide to keep down earworms on sweet corn and thinking at the same
time that if there is a nonchemical alternative I would want to try it.

A year ago I bought some Surround WP and used it on some fruit trees but
didn't follow through like I should have.

Then the idea hit me that if Surround is supposed to repel the coddling moth
that lays the eggs that produces the imfamous worm that eats it's way into
apples and other fruit, why wouldn't it work to repel the egg laying moth
that produces the worm that infests sweet corn? Though there is no label
for application of Surround for earworm control, I considered it worth a try
on my second patch of sweet corn.

Hi Martin,

My reaction would be, "the label is the law", period. Any extra-label use of a pesticide, especially on something sold to customers, would seem to be asking for trouble.

My 2-cents worth,

Bill Huhman
South-Central Ohio