market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] CSA newsletters (was corn earworm control)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Leigh Hauter <lh AT pressroom.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Lucy Goodman <goodows AT infinet.com>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] CSA newsletters (was corn earworm control)
  • Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 10:28:06 -0400

Newsletters are important!

Especially for a CSA.

-- A well written newsletter brings in new customers.

-- It helps to keep the customers you have happy.

-- It's one of the ways of making your customers feel they belong.

-- And, of course, its a way of communicating what's going on out on the farm.

My newsletter is now completely e-mail. All of my subscribers are on line and most receive e-mail right at their work desk.

As far as sending it as a pdf file - I don't and have reservations about doing it that way. The reason - I seldom open pdf newsletters. Also, the internet is a different medium than print. A nice looking print newsletter doesn't necessarily translate into an interesting e-mail.

My theory with e-newsletters is - it needs a hook right in the first sentence if your going to get people to read more than the first paragraph. I start out with a cute or funny story that happened on the farm that week. Make it fun and upbeat. Keep the paragraphs real short. Short sentences. Remember, this is e-mail and everyone, or, at least my average subscriber, is flooded with e-mail.

If you want them to read it you need to make it real easy to read, you need to make it fun, and you need to make it something that they look forward to reading.

Besides my shareholders, I have several thousand others who subscribe to the newsletter. I believe the newsletter is my best tool for getting new subscribers.

I post the year's newsletters on our webpage if you want to see some examples.

http://www.bullrunfarm.com/newsletter.htm