market-farming - [Market-farming] A delicate situation: How to tell a Farmer's Market vendor their quality is off

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Alliums <garlicgrower AT earthlink.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] A delicate situation: How to tell a Farmer's Market vendor their quality is off
  • Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 10:00:40 -0400

Hi, Folks!

I have a situation I'd love to get some input on from the group.

Last year, a consortium of dairy farmers got together and produced some of the best yogurt I've ever had. My cousin and I bought copious amounts every Saturday our Farmer's Market was in business.

I don't know what has happened this year, but the quality is completely gone this year. Even though the yogurt has a "sell by" date that is far in the future either 1) when we open the lid of the yogurt, the inner seal is bulging from gas (I have returned several containers that looked like this, since, of course, I hadn't opened the yogurt) or 2) either the fruit in the yogurt or the yogurt itself tastes spoiled.

I know the farmer is wondering why my cousin and I aren't the steady customers we were last year, but can't bring himself to ask. As I know *nothing* about dairy from the cow itself to how to make or hold dairy products in a commercial setting, I just don't know how to tell him that the product has gone from fantastic to so "hit or miss" (and mostly "miss") that I just don't feel like taking the chance that, yes, this batch of yogurt has "gone south", too.

Any suggestions? I don't want to berate the man, but gosh, he had a fantastic product last year and this year, it just ain't there.

Thanks for your help -- I'm sure this is an issue we all face at one time or another. . .

Dorene
Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of