market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Re: Selling for other growers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "jay gee" <JayGee AT jghelp.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Re: Selling for other growers
  • Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 11:09:36 -0700 (PDT)

Lucy Goodman wrote:

<snip>

> I would suggest to her that she hire help so
> that she can come to your market herself. In
> the long and short run this will be alot
> better for her farm business if she is there
> representing her farm.

<snip>

I agree with Lucy here for two reasons:

1.) For the grower not attending the market,
any benefit of quality that the pears have
is being transferred to Matt by default.
There is no "branding effect" of the quality
for the farmer producing the crops.

2.) For the farmer growing the crops, it should
be possible to pay someone a commission
instead of a wage to monitor u-pick sales.
That gives the monitor an incentive to raise
sales by whatever means are available. If
you hired a retired ad writer ( (-' ) as monitor,
s/he might raise sales to new heights.

[FYI: I am not volunteering or thinking about
retiring any time soon - Thank you.]

jay gee
not a farmer -- but interested in farming

Free marketing aids for farmers at:
http://jghelp.com/farming