market-farming - [Market-farming] Funding your Farmers' Market

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Goodman <goodows AT infinet.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Funding your Farmers' Market
  • Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2004 19:02:24 -0400

How does you market raise funds for advertising, hiring a market manager, etc.?

Our is in it's first season, charges vendors a pittance ($20 a season or $5 12' space) and we have a "friends of the market" program which has raised about $1500 for us. Next season vendors will have to pay more and we will come up with more fundraisers as we want to have a paid market manager and the monies taken in this year just cover expenses (but it looks like we will end up the year in the black).

We did get not for profit status for the market which should make getting grants and such easier.

This market has done really well especially for a first year market. We have around 25 vendors and get around 450 to 500 customers through every Saturday morning.

Lucy Goodman
Boulder Belt Organics
New paris, OH