market-farming - [Market-farming] dairy food industry

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "David Tannen" <david AT centerville.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] dairy food industry
  • Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 17:16:25 -0500

Title: Re: [Market-farming] Winter Squash Harvest
US Farm Crisis <usfarmcrisis AT iatp.org> -- posted by bunting AT dmcom.net
Posted with permission:

To Whom This May Concern;

My name is Corey Durling and am an ex-fluid processor living in New
Jersey.  I have lived in Poland for 6 years building, running and then
selling a yogurt processing plant in the early to mid 1990s.

Recently, I co-founded a consulting company (Dairy Technomics) some 6
years ago.  We provide cost formula and pricing information to groups
(retailers, wholesalers, food service companies and others).  We provide
our customers "Target Pricing" on what they should be paying for their
dairy products and offer to monitor the price on our website.

At this time I am contacting you as a *very concerned* businessman with
knowledge of the dairy food industry.  At this time I am acting alone.
I only have an idea which needs to be explored, expanded and acted on.

In providing the work for our Dairy Tech clients it is evident to me
that processors and co-ops are using up their most valuable resource,
their raw milk supply.  This is being done by exploiting the dairy
farmer.  Granted that is a blanket statement -- I would venture to
guess that I see this happening in more than 65% of the country.

There is one _very serious_ situation that I am certain that many of
you are aware of.  This being the plight of the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic
and Southeastern dairy farmer.  In ten years or less, there will be a
very serious shortage of fresh milk in these marketing areas.  Now is
the time to do something proactive.

The current Department of Justice investigation of DFA is only going to
scratch the surface of a national problem and will miss the problem that
already exists in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic and Southeast.

My question is, how to insulate the these farmers from extinction?  We
have managed to save turtles, hawks, bears and countless other living
species.  Let's put the dairy farmer on the endangered species list.

The answer that keeps coming back to me is to develop a
regional monitoring system.  I would be interested in helping develop
and maintain that program to better monitor what the farmer is actually
being paid by the independent processor, Co-op or
national conglomerate.  I would need help and support from the farm
community and those who support them.

Please contact me with your thoughts on the subject and if you believe
their is someone who need this information please forward or carry this
thought to them.  I am sorry that I do not have a more organized and
complete email list to send this message.

Corey Durling
(908) 437 1274