market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Cell phones and things related

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: Steve Sando <steve AT mrlucky.com>, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Cell phones and things related
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 11:05:09 -0400

The other side of local stores: LOWE's is a 20min drive for us. Having just sponsored Michael SHuman's visit to town, I, of course, really want to support local businesses. We are finishing up a hoophouse project. I ran out of self-tapping screws and drove to the local hardware store to pick some more up. After about 15 minutes, they found their drawer of self-drilling screws. The price of them was $.90 each for a 14x1.5 screw. I needed 20 and the cost of the hoophouse is way beyond what I'd imagined when I started it. I couldnt pay that for 20 screws. The store person was definitely ticked off, after taking so long to find them. That night, I dropped by Lowes. Cost for name-brand self-drilling screws: $4.94 for 25 of them.

This is one of the things that really bothers me: local stores charging a premium for 'convenience.' I know, I need to look at both sides of that. Having once run a locally-owned store, please believe me, I do.

-Allan