market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Cell phones and things related

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Eastex Farms <eastexfarms AT direcway.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Cell phones and things related
  • Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 11:24:57 -0500

> So, Bill, tell us about dealing with WalMart. Who do you talk to? You
> do something annually to stay on their "blessed" list? What does the
> required liability insurance cost you? You directly deliver to the
> stores? For orders, do you contact them via telephone or email?

Willie, here we have a district mananager, that is over about 10 stores (i
think) he had the paper work sent to me. I am sure you can get this
information from your local store. To stay on the list you must keep up your
liabilety insurace, at this time it is 2 mil. cost $500.00 year. Contact for
selling is done with local produce manager sometime in person sometime on
the phone. Delivery is made direct to the store.

> I don't have any great desire to get in with them, since the prices
> seem so low. Since they sell jalapenos for $.50-$1.00 per pound, I
> presume you get around $.30/lb? What is the size of your typical
> jalapeno order? I have a single "large" jalapeno customer and they
> only order 100-150 lbs at a time, so that's only $50-$75 at my $.50
> price. Do you sell WalMart anything other than jalapenos.

Jalapenos, my average is .40 cents pound or $16.00 box. Wal-Mart retail
Jalapenos here is $1.68 pound. The order size depends on the store, the
Jacksonville store has a large histmanic trade they will buy 20 - 30 boxs
week 1200 pounds. Some other stores only 400-500 pounds week. We also sell
them squash ( calabasa) serrano, Habanero and cayenne Chiles.

I have sold to local outlets of two big chains for many years and
> apparently have been grandfathered on liability insurance; I have never
> had any and have never been asked. How fast does WalMart pay? One of
> my customers pays in 14 days, the other waits at least 30 days. A
> third, minor, customer waits 60 days.

Most of my accounts pay in 30 days, I have had no trouble from Wal-Mart. I
do know that some of the people that sell plants to Wal-Mart through there
main office sometime have trouble getting there money. Some of the smaller
retailers will run a little over. I sell only produce no plants, and if the
quality is not good the Wal-Marts here will not take it. I don't know how
there warehouse works as I sell only local stores. TexasBill