market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Cell phones and things related

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Cell phones and things related
  • Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 08:00:56 -0400

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 23:26:41 -0400, you wrote:

>Shouldn't we try to practice what we preach a little more consistently by
>supporting our local retail outlets rather than superstores like Sam's Club
>and Wal-Mart, both of which are largely responsible for doing some serious
>damage to our rural economies? (Granted, the argument's harder to make
>when the product being bought is a cell phone rather than farm produce,
>but. . . .)

It's a tough call, isn't it?

[\Hypothetical] I want to support local merchants but I
can't afford their prices. [\End Hypothetical]

I guess the answer is different for each person and probably
differs by circumstances too, i.e., the same person might
make one choice today and another tomorrow.

In our case, discount-type stores within a 50 mile radius:
only the 'Evil Empire'. The competition has already been
killed, driven out of business, as have many of the 'local
retail outlets'.

Pat