market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Cell phones and things related

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Cell phones and things related
  • Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 09:58:32 -0500

On Sat, Apr 24, 2004 at 08:18:54AM -0500, Eastex Farms wrote:

> >> I sell produce to three different Wal-Mart super centers, as well as the
> local chains. I am listed with Wal-Mart as a local vendor. They have been
> very good to me. You too can sell to them if you chose. You will have to
> apply for a vendor number and meet there quality and quanity. I too support
> those that support me. TexasBill

So, Bill, tell us about dealing with WalMart. Who do you talk to? You
do something annually to stay on their "blessed" list? What does the
required liability insurance cost you? You directly deliver to the
stores? For orders, do you contact them via telephone or email?

I don't have any great desire to get in with them, since the prices
seem so low. Since they sell jalapenos for $.50-$1.00 per pound, I
presume you get around $.30/lb? What is the size of your typical
jalapeno order? I have a single "large" jalapeno customer and they
only order 100-150 lbs at a time, so that's only $50-$75 at my $.50
price. Do you sell WalMart anything other than jalapenos.

I have sold to local outlets of two big chains for many years and
apparently have been grandfathered on liability insurance; I have never
had any and have never been asked. How fast does WalMart pay? One of
my customers pays in 14 days, the other waits at least 30 days. A
third, minor, customer waits 60 days.

Any information you don't want to let go of, just ignore the question.

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Are YOU an html abuser? http://www.expita.com/nomime.html