market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Cell phones and things related

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "jay gee" <JayGee AT jghelp.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Cell phones and things related
  • Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 15:11:28 -0700 (PDT)

Dawn wrote:

<snip>

> Does anyone else find it ironic that
> recommendations are being made for purchases at Sam's Club, a.k.a.
> Wal-Mart? I've been under the impression that a good part of what makes
> for successful market farming is building relationships with your
> customers, whom you then educate in the ways of eating seasonally and
> locally, and that such a sustainable way of eating and living may cost more
> than cheap "food" found at the supermarket.

Nothing ironic about it at all. Makes good sense to me.

Wal-Mart has been successful at building relationships with most
of its customers. That is one of the reasons for its success.

People have to do what is best for them individually. Sometimes that
includes doing what is best for a "group," often it doesn't.

Shopping at Wal-Mart may be best when means are limited or
local vendors are unwilling to assist.

> Shouldn't we try to practice what we preach a little more consistently by
> supporting our local retail outlets rather than superstores like Sam's Club
> and Wal-Mart, both of which are largely responsible for doing some serious
> damage to our rural economies? (Granted, the argument's harder to make
> when the product being bought is a cell phone rather than farm produce,
> but. . . .)

I suggest that you support local retailers that support
you by way of fair pricing, great service, and good
communications.

Few local retailers are put out of business by anything
but their own actions or inactions. The greatest doer-inner
of small retailers, be they rural or suburban, is unwillingness
to change, learn modern marketing techniques and treat
ALL customers as if they were good customers. The other
big killer is plain laziness and the "you owe me a living"
attitude.

There is more to winning and keeping customers than simply
smiling.

My $ 0.02.

jay gee
not a farmer -- but interested in farming

Free marketing aids for farmers at:
http://jghelp.com/farming