market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Cell phones and things related

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Matt Cheselka <cheselka AT freestateproject.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Cell phones and things related
  • Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 18:32:17 -0500 (CDT)

Naturally everyone's going to do what they think best, so if someone
thinks boycotting a retailer (big OR small) becuase of something the
retailer is doing or not doing, then more power to 'em!

There are many reason to shop at Walmart and there are many other reasons
NOT to shop there. My guess, though, it that there are more reasons not
to.

That was part of my point a coupla weeks ago when Pat Meadows and I were
having our discussion about "control" and who's got it and who doesn't.
If Walmart has "taken over" an area and driven everyone else out of
business, then people who refuse to buy things at Walmart will go through
some (and maybe a substantial amount of) hardship: they either get their
stuff at the local Walmart, go somewhere else (which might be difficult or
impossible), or go without. So have these people lost all control? Not
at all! If "Mom & Pop Store" in the next town has pretty much the same
stuff and pretty much the same price, then all we need to figure out is
how to get to that next town! To me, that solution is pretty easy.
Bucky Fuller called this "Emergence Through Emergency" and it works! We
humans can do great things if we have to... All Walmart can *really* do
is make this stuff available and wait for us to come in a buy it.
They're not forcing us to buy anything (although tricking us through
commercials is a form of force IMO). To me, Walmart is totally at our
mercy and whim.

It's the little things that count, too. I *could* make copies at my local
Postal Annex or even take a trip to Tucson and go to Alphagraphics, but
instead I make it a point to go to my "Mom & Pop" office supply store that
sells me copies at the smae price as anywhere else. Instead of buying my
eggs at Safeway, I'll buy them from my feed store where all the eggs are
locally "grown". Likewise, growing my own food or buying it from local
farmers/gardeners is the *best* think I can possibly do to ensure that the
Walmarts of the world aren't getting my dollars to keep themselves alive.

Much more that could be said here. Again, this is such a *huge* issue!!!

Thanks for putting up with my preaching. Totally awesome discussion!

Matt Cheselka
Cosmic Lettuce