market-farming - RE: new terminology, was tone and substance/NY Times

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "GlobalCirclenet" <webmaster AT globalcircle.net>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: RE: new terminology, was tone and substance/NY Times
  • Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 21:27:25 -0600

Those "failures" referred to can't be pinned on any inherent flaw in the
coop concept. ALL types of business run into problems; it's human nature.
Think ENRON. Think GLOBAL CROSSING, HALLIBURTON, & STOCK PRICES. Also,
many kinds of coops have to function under all kinds of regulatory burdens
and sometimes in competition with corporations that have just about every
subsidy and loophole imaginable written into the law to favor them.
Corporations plow investors money into grabbing more market share, and
that's probably where you see coops having trouble with enough
capitalization to compete with them. The insurance racket is hardly a fair
test for co-ops. It's not a level playing field. As for farm coops "going
bankrupt", I'd have to see some hard figures before I'd believe it's even
worth a mention. All that sounds like badmouthing coops to me. It sounds
like more corporate propaganda.

paul & barb - on the continental divide
http://globalcircle.net