market-farming - RE: new terminology

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Liz Pike" <liz AT laughingbrookfarm.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: new terminology
  • Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 05:12:14 -0400

> Yes, from the discussion here, it seems very clear that direct marketers
> have not found a need for certification. That is why I am asking why
people
> are wanting to come up with some other kind of certification in lieu of
> organic.

Some farmers' markets will not allow you in unless you are certified.
Thankfully, mine accepted the "non-certified" status, and let me in.
Sometimes I got tired of having to prove mine was grown organically by
keeping all the records with me and talking it up to new customers. On more
than one occasion it would have been much quicker to simply show the label
that indicated I was certified.

I farmed in an area where I grew up. Though there was (& still is) a huge
influx of Yankee retirees, most everyone knew me already. Establishing
myself in the market as a non-certified organic grower only took about 6
months. Not so in my new area. It would take at least 2-3 years to
establish that kind of repoire, time I can't spare. Certification would
certainly kick in a few doors here, if I so chose to go that route (which
I'm not).

And some farmers simply want the certification because they like documents,
they like being "official", while others used the cert process to learn how
to grow organically. different strokes for different folks....

Liz Pike
Laughing Brook Farm
Westfield NC