market-farming - Re: importance of local angle

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Del Williams" <delannw AT dlogue.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: importance of local angle
  • Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 19:24:58 -0500

Locally grown signs:

At our market in Kankakee, IL - by market rules all vendors are required to
display a sign with the name of their farm and location. Dues to the market
association were used to order these so that we all had similar looking
signs. They look like oversized license plates... with holes so they could
be hung from a table or EZ-Up. Nice and waterproof, lightweight and easy to
stash with the other set up materials.

In the first year one of the vendors made table signs for us and custom
painted whatever we wanted on them... __\ on an angle like that little
character to the left... I liked this sign the best because it sat front and
center on the table. I put my recipe boxes on the base and they held free
recipes for herb uses. Good place for pens and order tablets too.

I also made signs with my Deskjet that gave the "locally grown without
pesticides" description (oh and a little philosophy about it in smaller
print) , laminated them and clipped them around the awning of the tent.

I notice that our organically-only baker made labels for her baked goods
which are made from organically grown and freshly ground wheat. Her labels
(required by the health department anyway) include ingredients, her business
name, address and phone number.

BTW, her stand - one of the most successful and fastest growing at the
market - has a dedicated customer base. She has a full-time baker assistant
on the staff now. I don't know if customers care it's organic or even that
her prices are high. The bread, rolls, bread sticks, cinnamon rolls
(heavenly) whatever are excellent.

Del Williams
Farmer in the Del
Clifton IL 60927