market-farming - Re: importance of local angle

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mckemie AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: importance of local angle
  • Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 15:58:31 -0500

On Wed, Oct 16, 2002 at 04:14:57PM -0400, Liz Pike wrote:
> don't know how many of you are here in NC, but we do have a "Goodness Grows
> in NC" program for all in-state growers, whether conventional, organic, etc.
> Customers do recognize the "map" symbol when shopping at Farmer's Markets &
> in the grocery store. Unfortunately, it's also used on booths for some
> things that are from out-of-state.

A few years ago, I was a member and supporter of our Texas Dept of Ag
"Taste of Texas" advertising program; I had the Taste of Texas logo on
most of my labels and other printed material. One day I noticed our
principal grocery retailer, HEB, selling their house brand of pineapple
juice labeled "Taste of Texas". We grow no pineapple in Texas. In
response to my query, TxDeptAg replied that the product was re-packaged
in Texas, which qualified it for the program. Feeling that the program
was dishonest, I dumped it in disgust.

--
Willie ONWARD! Through the fog!
Are YOU an html abuser? http://www.expita.com/nomime.html