market-farming - Re: importance of local angle

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Ed Clifford" <hmdrawrod AT citlink.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: importance of local angle
  • Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 12:12:08 -0400

I know of a small farm in NYC that was active until last year. Several
acres on 73rd Ave. in Queens, NY. Sold out after last season for a huge sum,
(multiples of millions), and local community viewed owners as sell outs. Had
a large article in paper about how farm land is vanishing and something
needs to be done nationwide. Odd how before the farm was sold there were no
"feature" articles on how taxes need to be lowered on a working farm, or how
a farmers pension is generally his farm. I'm quite sure if city came up with
a number anywhere near sum he received he would have preferred to keep land
in Ag.
I wonder why the owner of the 7-11 doesn't deliver milk and butter with
his horse and wagon. Why he didn't keep his kids working in the store rather
than send them to college? Why people complained that his tomatoes were
2.00lb. and Pathmark had them for $.59. Why did the corn have worms in the
silk, Key Food's doesn't.
No, Queens doesn't need another grouping of Townhouses, but I was Happy to
see one of "us" get what he deserved. I was at the farm last year in late
August, heard he was selling. As I got into my truck I remember thinking
"What a shame", and looking to the west I thought, "I'll bet he's the last
farm in NY with a view of the World Trade Center." That was also my last
view of both.
Ed Clifford
Shale Rock Farm