market-farming - importance of local angle

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Nan Johnson" <nan AT olemiss.edu>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: importance of local angle
  • Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 14:19:44 -0700

Just to underscore how our terminology discussion is headed, Kellogg's Foundation helped small growers in western Mass. do a market study to figure out what would most appeal to consumers, and they came up with the "Be a Local Hero" campaign with a point of purchase sign in supermarkets and elsewhere actually showing the face of the farmer(s) that grew that produce - customers were most motivated by 1) it  being grown locally; and 2) by someone they "knew" (even if only from a photo).   These photos were plastered on billboards, public buses and in supermarkets.

The increase in market dollars to local growers was significant and all involved were very pleased with the results.

    I was especially impressed because just a few years early, when trying to market certified organic produce from the Natick Community Organic Farm to the Boston Food Coop and also  Bread & Circus (the expensive health food store chain in Mass with big signs how they support local agriculture), they both refused to buy (because it was "too much trouble").
Right to my face the Bread and Circus buyer said she would rather order non organic produce from Calif than get fresh organic stuff from us because she could order the calif stuff on a computer once a week and then not have to think about it......

     Now in western Mass, even the major food chains are buying locally grown produce!  It blew me away.....So, it seems that local means alot to folks.