market-farming - Re: importance of local angle

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Del Williams" <delannw AT dlogue.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: importance of local angle
  • Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 19:46:50 -0500

Yep, Bill's right. Tell 'em... we picked/harvested/cut it this morning at
3AM... or nothing on this stand came off a plant before yesterday morning.

I sold 40 lbs of Royal Burgundy beans one year at $1.40/lb. to a guy who
said, well K-Mart is selling green beans for .99/lb. I said, well, go over
to K-mart and snap their beans or even taste test. Then come back and tell
me if you like these which you can test right now.

After he purchased, several customers who were waiting to buy ended up
getting their share of what was left... another 40 lb.s. For me, that was a
great day at the market.

Del Williams
Farmer in the Del
Clifton IL