market-farming - Re: importance of local angle

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Liz Pike" <liz AT laughingbrookfarm.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: importance of local angle
  • Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 22:31:12 -0400

> On the subject of local... ask yourself:
>
> Would Coca-Cola be as big a seller if it had
> a different product name in all fifty states?
>
> Something to think about.

I understand what you're saying, really I do, but there's just something
here. Something I can't put my finger on. When I look real hard at it I
just don't see how we can nationalize a regional product.

I was just contacted today (do I have a "let me help you" aura around me or
what??? ; ))) about an "endangered" plant called Rampion. Someone was about
to get all worked up about it disappearing. At first I had visions of
Rapunzel's mother longing for the enchantress's greens, until I realized
what he was talking about.

Ramps. Wild Leeks. They grow here in our mountains, and several festivals
are held in their honor. They appear April-May & people relish them, even
eating them raw right where they picked them (don't get near them for a
couple of days ; )). While the harvesting has put a dent in the amount
that still grows, they aren't endangered, nor on the "threatened" or
"special concern" lists for North Carolina. It's a regional thing. Local.
A product that can't be nationalized. A prime example of my region's
"flavor". I just don't see how making a "chain" out of what we each do
individually is going to help me, right here in my "backyard"--only I can do
that.

I know, I know. The good of many can help us each individually. I
understand--and can almost be persuaded to contribute, join, help, do
whatever (I'd already pictured big bold lips all over my veggies--what a
marketing ploy ; ))). But something inside says "hold on a minute." I got
into farming because I like that one-on-one contact with my customers. I
like digging in the dirt for that carrot I know is going to feed so & so's
little boy, or making sure each carton of eggs has at least one colorful
Aracauna egg in it (to drive mom crazy of course, "which kid gets the
colored egg this week?"). I don't want to have someone else's label on my
stuff. It's almost as if what I say isn't enough--I have to browbeat my
customers into believing me with a "label" from someone else, which is
exactly what I've run from all these years.

Somehow my brain & mouth/thoughts are disconnected....can't seem to get
across what I'm feeling. If I sleep on it tonight, maybe "clearer"
thoughts will appear in the morning ; ))

good night all...

Liz Pike
Laughing Brook Farm
Westfield NC