market-farming - Re: importance of local angle

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Nan Johnson" <nan AT olemiss.edu>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: importance of local angle
  • Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 16:50:59 -0700

The difference in the western Mass. campaign (there had been the state ag
dept slogan "Massachusetts Grown and Better" or something like that, for
DECADES)
is that they ACTUALLY did the marketing survey research (costing more than
ag dept wanted to spend) - and only certain growers got the logo for their
farms - not just anybody who wrote into the ag department, for example.
There was a separate non profit type certifying body - kind of a progressive
community organizing type farmer run program (opps, too many adjectives).
So this was quite a distinctive program.
What Alison described as a bad scene didn't really have a chance to
happen in western Mass.

Miss. also has "Make Mine Miss." but I wonder if it wasn't just like the one
in Mass. - no real marketing research.

Nan at Dancing Goats Farm, N. Mississippi

Alison wrote:

> Yes, we have a similar program in Kentucky, and I know Tennessee does
also.
> We can buy bags, blackboard style signage, magnets, stickers, etc. at
> really good prices. But, the re-sellers at our Farmers' Market are as
> likely to use the promotional material as anyone....and then it means
> nothing, and the customer is cheated.

> > From: Liz Pike[SMTP:liz AT laughingbrookfarm.com]
> > don't know how many of you are here in NC, but we do have a "Goodness
> > Grows
> > in NC" program for all in-state growers, whether conventional, organic,
> > etc.
> > Customers do recognize the "map" symbol when shopping at Farmer's
Markets