livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] TWO AGRICULTURES, NOT ONE, By John Michael Greer

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <harvey@themodernhomestead.us>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] TWO AGRICULTURES, NOT ONE, By John Michael Greer
  • Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 14:38:48 -0400

On 09/25/2010 05:05 AM, Dieter Brand wrote:
Importing organic matter free of charge is only possible in a wasteful society that considers
"organic matter" as "waste" to be gotten rid off. I now live in one of the
poorest regions of Europe, if I were to ask my neighbor, who is a cattle farmer, for a load of
manure; he would charge me 100 Euros. In Germany, most farmers would just give me a load of
manure free of charge. ~Dieter

I just finished reading HOLY SHIT, Gene Logsdon's latest book (subtitle: How to Manage Manure to Save Mankind). Logsdon makes the prediction repeatedly that we will soon appreciate the value of manures as fertilizer--that their use will make *economic* sense as fertilizer prices continue to rise--that farmers will start seeing sale of their manures as a significant source of income.

There were aspects of the book I craved more depth in--particularly the whole microbial picture that joins poops to soil--but it was a fun and useful read.

~Harvey

--
Harvey in northern Va
www.themodernhomestead.us

You can pray for potatoes, but you better pick up the hoe.