livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] TWO AGRICULTURES, NOT ONE, By John Michael Greer

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Dieter Brand <diebrand@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] TWO AGRICULTURES, NOT ONE, By John Michael Greer
  • Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 02:05:25 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Fri, 9/24/10, pbunch@cox.net <pbunch@cox.net> wrote:
> Clearly importing nutrients from neighbors is a mid-term
> solution but what will the situation be if everyone in a
> given area is recycling the nutrients present in their
> systems? I suspect they will not give them up at a
> reasonable price.

Exactly! Importing organic matter free of charge is only possible in a
wasteful society that considers "organic matter" as "waste" to be gotten rid
off. I now live in one of the poorest regions of Europe, if I were to ask my
neighbor, who is a cattle farmer, for a load of manure; he would charge me
100 Euros. In Germany, most farmers would just give me a load of manure free
of charge. Another example, when we first moved here, I asked the local
joiner's shop if I could have some saw dust and wood shavings for mulching.
They told me to come and get as much as I wanted. When I went back to the
same shop two years later, they sold bags of the same stuff for 10 Euros a
piece. There is no such thing as a free lunch.

Dieter Brand
Portugal

While good soil structure and a healthy