livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] TWO AGRICULTURES, NOT ONE, By John Michael Greer

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: <pbunch@cox.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] TWO AGRICULTURES, NOT ONE, By John Michael Greer
  • Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 6:45:51 -0700

On one level I am thinking out loud about our local conditions. On another I
am trying to understand the implications of our methods for long-term global
sustainability. I don't mean to sound argumentative in a negative way.

Clearly importing nutrients from neighbors is a mid-term solution but what
will the situation be if everyone in a given area is recycling the nutrients
present in their systems? I suspect they will not give them up at a
reasonable price. While good soil structure and a healthy flora and fauna
provide optimal condition for local nutrient cycling, nutrients are
inevitably lost to leaching and where produce is sold they are exported from
the farm with the vegetables and other products. Sustainability is a
long-term project and things like potassium and easily leached trace minerals
may become limiting factors. Calcium also can be a problem in high rainfall
areas. The natural geochemical cycles are the ultimate constraints on what we
can do. Mass is conserved.

Eventually, and perhaps sooner than later the throughput via the human
population has to be addressed. I doubt if 6 billion people, with 9 billion
in the near future, can be supported even with the best methods.