livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] TWO AGRICULTURES, NOT ONE, By John Michael Greer

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Dieter Brand <diebrand@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] TWO AGRICULTURES, NOT ONE, By John Michael Greer
  • Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 12:52:37 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Sat, 9/25/10, Harvey Ussery <harvey@themodernhomestead.us> wrote:
> I read the observation somewhere that in a typical soil
> profile there is enough mineral fertility in the depths to
> support agricultural production for 100,000 years. A
> fanciful claim, perhaps, ...

That probably depends on the soil. But I think as a general statement it is
very legitimate and effectively refutes the argument that soil is governed by
a sort of bookkeeping of nutrients in which what goes out in form of food
must be compensated by a nutrient-input in form of fertilizers or minerals.

Soil deficiencies mainly occur in chemical mono-cropping systems.
Biologically active soil will make available nutrients and minerals naturally
existing in soil that cannot be accessed by chemical farming.

Dieter Brand
Portugal