livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] TWO AGRICULTURES, NOT ONE, By John Michael Greer

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <harvey@themodernhomestead.us>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] TWO AGRICULTURES, NOT ONE, By John Michael Greer
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 09:31:47 -0400

On 09/25/2010 10:27 PM, Emery Mitchamore wrote:
There are two relatively new books with a LOT more on the relations of
microbes and soils:

Teaming with Microbes, by Lowenfels and Lewis, and
Life in the Soil, by James Nardi.

Mitch, thanks so much for posting the recommendations. I just ordered copies of both.

I am fairly thoroughly versed in the nature of the soil food web. However, I'm hoping to get more of the specifics--particularly re activity of gut microbes after the poops hit the soil: Do they continue the work they were doing inside the body so they're a key part of the manure decomposition to soil? Do they survive and become part of the soil food web? In which case surely they get reintroduced on the other end as the animal eats over that same ground? The idea of that sort of cycle (focusing for the moment on the microbial populations rather than the animal) is fascinating. If I can flesh that out, it will be useful in the "shit section" of the book I'm writing.

Always enjoy seeing your posts.

~Harvey Ussery

--
Harvey in northern Va
www.themodernhomestead.us

My book, THE MODERN HOMESTEAD POULTRY FLOCK, will be published next year by
Chelsea Green Publishing.