livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] TWO AGRICULTURES, NOT ONE, By John Michael Greer

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Ken Hargesheimer <minifarms2@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] TWO AGRICULTURES, NOT ONE, By John Michael Greer
  • Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 06:15:42 -0700 (PDT)

John Jeavons, Ecology Action, does not import anything to the garden.  He uses green manure/cover crops to provide organic matter and crop waste.  Of course, he double digs which waste OM.

When people are destroying OM, we should use it.

People are concerned about a rising population.  From my experience in Africa and reading:   As education levels among a population rises, the birthrate goes down.

There is no doubt in my mind that organic, no-till can feed the world regardless of how high the population goes.

Ken Hargesheimer