livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] TWO AGRICULTURES, NOT ONE, By John Michael Greer

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] TWO AGRICULTURES, NOT ONE, By John Michael Greer
  • Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 19:26:38 -0600

I did make a fleeting mention of that. We've started multiplying comfrey this
year and digging up a few plants for transplant makes a lot of roots
sprouting in spring. Use leaves for compost or surface mulch. And there's
alfalfa. We buy alfalfa meal in bulk to save the labor and expense of
composting green alfalfa hay, and it mixes uniformly in a wheelbarrow with
screened manure and bone meal to all work into the beds. That gets the greens
and browns close together. I like having all these ingredients decompose
right in the soil where the soil microbes are instead of composting
separately. We're seeing better and better results from basically dead soil
to begin with, and got to a point where no-till now saves a lot of labor.