livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] More on Low Dairy and Meat Diets

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] More on Low Dairy and Meat Diets
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 13:09:35 -0600

Yes, that lone survivalist thing is bunko. Outfits teach survival in the wild
and take your money, and not one of them realizes six months disaster
survival is useless in the "long emergency" (Kunstler's term). Yes, people
need to work together. Family tribal units were the model for eons and they
worked. Larger groups worked. In the Middle Ages a lone individual on his own
was considered insane or an outcast. Villages survived.

But more than gangs or militias consider the existing power structure of
government and military and the money elites. They aren't too keen on giving
up control. We will deal with agencies and powerful people who control
property, transportation, and commodities. Look at the proliferation of
private security outfits now; they're everywhere. I don't see a breakdown of
high finance and the military anytime soon, and money and power can be abused
and used to control the masses far more than we've seen in the past. In my
view violent crime, food stealing etc., is peanuts.

Rather keep an eye on the powers that be. My instinct is to get outside the
system far as practical. In other words food security, income, the
necessities, should ideally be independent of government and corporate
involvement. Someone coined the term "inactivism" which is the flip side of
activism. You don't fight the wrongs in the system; you do a workaround (I
use that word a lot); you refuse to support an unsustainable system by not
being part of it. Protesters may protest with one hand and support what they
protest with the other. Leave the demonstration and drive back in a car
financed by big money to the mortgaged home and then go work in the corporate
cubicle. Think about it: it's all the corporate wage slavery and debt
consumerism. And state-granted corporate charters have no mandate except
shareholder profit. Nothing else counts, nothing else can be allowed to get
in the way of profit, legally airtight - anything about earth friendly is
greenwashing crap. And it's that whole mess that eats away at civilized
society and ultimately the Mother than sustains us all.

I say as far as practical. We refuse to finance a home or car or pickup. No
usury paid to enrich the 1%. We grow food and sell locally and bypass all the
corporate middlemen. Still, the shovel and wheelbarrow come from corporations
- sometimes through China-Mart.

Your last part bears repeating:

The skills being developed by people on this list are going to
>be crucial to a viable future particularly n the "developed" countries. In
>the under developed countries there is at least a reasonable number of
>people who remember how to live outside the cities and who can teach
>others how to do so. This list is a loose community and can make
>significant contributions. Strong communities are needed and IMHO will be
>the saving grace if one exists.

--Henry David Thoreau