livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] More on Low Dairy and Meat Diets

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] More on Low Dairy and Meat Diets
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 23:12:55 +0100

Tommy,
I really don't think the difference in carbon foot print between vegetables, grains, soy bean or dairy and meat is of the slightest importance. When TSHTF large scale agriculture is going to stop, shops will go empty and transport will slow down to a snail's crawl.
This means that most people will start to starve at that stage and that anything that is edible will be eaten. Maybe there are a few of us capable of producing food for more people than ourselves but none of us can feed even the nearest small town for very long.

We have a few things happening at the moment that could very well, each on their own, mean the end of our species and every single day of the week I get several mails to that effect. Taken all together I think mankind has no chance at all. Maybe a good thing too because we are not a good species to have around in fragile space ship Earth.

The hopeful detail though is that when our numbers go very low we might just pull of to come out as a better, improved species.

And why should "we" not have access to meat and dairy. Without going into details, I fully expect my family will have plentiful access to just that. We milk two cows and five goats by hand, produce our own rennet. Make 3 two kilo hard rounds of cheese per week, butter, kefir and soft cheese as much as we want. What is most important is the knowledge of how to do things and we do have that.
Unfortunately it is clear to us that if people wanted to start doing the same thing that it would be very difficult to do in troubled times. We reccon it takes about two years run in time to do everything needed and at the moment it may already be too late to start and solve all problems before TSHTF. It took us 5-6 years to solve the rennet problem for instance. The amount of nonsense written about this subject is enormous and it simply does not work.
john

Does this study remain valid when/if Peak Oil, climate change, and
economic collapse are factored into its assumptions? Meat and dairy
have a lot more of a carbon footprint than vegetables, especially from
established beds, unless we're talking about homestead chickens/rabbits,
etc.

What the BP disaster in the Gulf of Mexico is teaching us, too late, is
that there is not a way to safely produce deepwater oil with current
technology. BP spends $1 billion/month cleaning up and trying to plug
the well they let get away from them. Ocean-going ships are no longer
able to access Mississippi River grain export facilities. After this
thing ripples through Gulf state economies, the tens of millions of
refugees will make the Katrina diaspora look insignificant. Richard
Heinberg today on Energy Bulletin.net says BP's mess may take down the
US (and harm the British) economy
http://www.energybulletin.net/node/53168. Over time, Richard has been
near 100% correct in his predictions.

The only reason BP's drilling in mile (or more) deep water is because
the easily gotten commercially viable shallow water and land deposits
are gone, meaning cheap oil is gone, which is what Peak Oil always
meant. When oil goes over $80/barrel, the US economy staggers, and
Michael Ruppert says we'll have $200/barrel by the end of this summer
because BP is deepwater drilling's Three Mile Island. Ruppert says he's
right 80% of the time.

What this seems to indicate, to me, is that we will be eating whatever
the immediate twenty miles or so produces, and a significant portion of
that will be what we can produce ourselves. Keeping our diets healthy
may become a challenge.

It seems certain, however, that we will not have the access to meat and
dairy that this study assumes.

Smiles.
Tommy