livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] More on Low Dairy and Meat Diets

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: <pbunch@cox.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] More on Low Dairy and Meat Diets
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 6:16:23 -0700

The whole argument on using less meat and dairy is based on the assumption
that we can do things to reduce human-induced impacts and our personal and
societal footprints. These arguments are put forth by people who have not
given up hope and who believe that we need to work together to develop
workable, just solutions.

As Paul said their are ways to raise meat and milk that may be within a
reasonable individual footprint, at least for rural residents with enough
land.

Now, climbing up on my soap box...

Personally I don't think that a survivalist, rugged independence model has
legs. Humans are quite good at getting together in a clear-cut crisis and
doing whatever is necessary to get what they want or need. It may be that if
one was located far enough away from urban or even town centers the
independent model might work in a very sudden crash. It is very unlikely
however that all technological support will come to a grinding halt
overnight. Decline and decay is a lot like death from cancer, often slow and
ugly. A more likely situation is the formation of gangs or militias that use
scarcity to profit. Some people have adequate leadership qualities to form
and maintain need based organizations. Here in Colombia we have a lot of
experience with how this kind of organization operates in rural settings.
They are very effective and ruthless. They control territories and extort
what they want. Resistance is generally met by making examples. If you doubt
the human capacity for such organization and methodology in your own area
just look to the inner cities.

IMHO we will do ourselves a favor by finding social solutions which maintain
the rule of law. This will require a major effort and some of the choices to
be made are not attractive to everyone. If there is to be any hope here,
impact reduction is required. The cities are not going away and they are not
going to allow the rural areas to live in relative well-being while they
suffer. The time to start finding workable solutions without throwing up ones
hands and throwing in the towel is now. These solutions include but are not
limited to: major impact reduction, development of a steady state economy,
urban food growing (probably insufficient by itself), redistribution of some
percentage of the urban population to the countryside, protection of soils
and established ag lands, optimization of long-term agricultural production
levels, equitable distribution of the food which is grown, voluntary
reduction of material consumption, development of non-material means of
flourishing.

I have no idea of the actual chances of success. Some here will say they are
nil. However, sticking ones head in the sand and surviving the collapse of
ones society appears to me to be a very low probability event. Some small
percentage may survive but the kind of life they inherit is most likely to be
unacceptable. It may well be that they will deserve what they get for
abandoning the rest of their fellow human beings without a reasonable effort
to solve the problems we all are responsible for having created.

The skills being developed by people on this list are going to be crucial to
a viable future particularly n the "developed" countries. In the under
developed countries there is at least a reasonable number of people who
remember how to live outside the cities and who can teach others how to do
so. This list is a loose community and can make significant contributions.
Strong communities are needed and IMHO will be the saving grace if one exists.

Phil Bunch
Medellin/Piedras Blancas, Colombia