livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] More on Low Dairy and Meat Diets

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Tommy Tolson <healinghawk@earthlink.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] More on Low Dairy and Meat Diets
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 13:03:04 -0500

Does this study remain valid when/if Peak Oil, climate change, and economic collapse are factored into its assumptions? Meat and dairy have a lot more of a carbon footprint than vegetables, especially from established beds, unless we're talking about homestead chickens/rabbits, etc.

What the BP disaster in the Gulf of Mexico is teaching us, too late, is that there is not a way to safely produce deepwater oil with current technology. BP spends $1 billion/month cleaning up and trying to plug the well they let get away from them. Ocean-going ships are no longer able to access Mississippi River grain export facilities. After this thing ripples through Gulf state economies, the tens of millions of refugees will make the Katrina diaspora look insignificant. Richard Heinberg today on Energy Bulletin.net says BP's mess may take down the US (and harm the British) economy http://www.energybulletin.net/node/53168. Over time, Richard has been near 100% correct in his predictions.

The only reason BP's drilling in mile (or more) deep water is because the easily gotten commercially viable shallow water and land deposits are gone, meaning cheap oil is gone, which is what Peak Oil always meant. When oil goes over $80/barrel, the US economy staggers, and Michael Ruppert says we'll have $200/barrel by the end of this summer because BP is deepwater drilling's Three Mile Island. Ruppert says he's right 80% of the time.

What this seems to indicate, to me, is that we will be eating whatever the immediate twenty miles or so produces, and a significant portion of that will be what we can produce ourselves. Keeping our diets healthy may become a challenge.

It seems certain, however, that we will not have the access to meat and dairy that this study assumes.

Smiles.
Tommy