livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Growing all your own food - nutrition

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: yarrow@sfo.com
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Growing all your own food - nutrition
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 11:37:45 -0800

There was an experimental GM potato that sickened (or killed) test animals. Don't know if a new one has made it to market.

At 11:08 AM -0700 1/28/08, TradingPostPaul wrote:
Last I heard the GMO companies hadn't bothered with vegetable crops. The
big money is in huge field crops, grains, soy, corn, cotton, and so forth.
However ... we can't be completely sure we're not getting any GMOs when we
eat anything with high fructose corn extract or certain grains or corn.
Most soy is GMO or contaminated with GMO.

As far as growing ALL your own food -- realistically, we don't even want to
try to eat *only* what we can grow ourselves at home, even with a lot of
food preserving for eating out of season. Networking locally is ideal where
some can specialize in one thing, some another. Some have animals, some
orchards, some vegetables, and so on. Tho not everything we need or want
can be produced locally. Some spices and condiments, tea and coffee and
others items aren't ever going to be produced in our own area. No doubt
their prices are headed up. But they're used in very small quantities and
lose little in storage and shipping. Tomatoes are a different story, which
is why we concentrate on marketing and trading all we can here.