livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] those $1,000 permaculture certificates...

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Laura McKenzie" <laurabrownmckenzie@worldnet.att.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] those $1,000 permaculture certificates...
  • Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 16:04:23 -0600

Paul, I have the fortunate capability of reading an entire book in just a couple of hours so Gaia's Garden was worth my time and there were nuggets of information in it that I've found more than helpful. Now that we have interloan at our library, we don't have to waste money on the books that contain a few gems and lots of filler, thankfully. In the last month I've checked out and read about 60 books on gardening, micro-farming, and the like and I'm finding most only contain a few gems and the rest is filler. Saturday I read one called 12 Month Gardening. It contained a lot of information about building greenhouses and cold frames (information I can't use) so I only wrote a couple of notes about the book but I was glad to have read it as those two ideas were ones I haven't thought of before and will very much help me.

The books that I use the most are the ones with dirt on them. I grab them in the middle of a job to check a point or two. The Vegetable Gardener's Bible, Eliot Coleman's books, Barbara Damrosch's, and "How to Grow World Record Tomatoes"..... those are my muddied books : )

Laura
Laura's Homeschooling, Garden, and Genealogy Site
is found here: http://home.att.net/~ekyorigins