livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] those $1,000 permaculture certificates...

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] those $1,000 permaculture certificates...
  • Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2007 11:59:30 -0700

Others may see it differently, but my take on it is Gaia's Garden is
backyard hobby gardening, when the urgent need is millions of families
working toward sustainable, healthy food production for home and market.
It's a nice philosophy but in practice it's just not focused on meeting the
growing demand for food. The U.S. is now a net IMporter of food; we are NOT
the breadbasket to the world, and our irrigation water supplies are
dropping, the cost of fuel is rising, and much of the best farm soil is
severely depleted by decades of ignorance. The economic indicators all
point straight down. We are already in recession and the real price misery
for consumers is yet to come. All these things make us more vulnerable to
the weaknesses of just-in-time supermarket distribution and supply.

Trendy, high-priced, feel-good seminars and fancy coffee table books do
nothing to deal with what's happening in the real world. Could be those
books are unclear on details because they're not actually growing anything.
There are many down to earth, practical guides out there, and my time and
energy is limited, so I have to focus on what I need to eat and sell
locally. I won't make much difference in the grand scheme of things, but at
least I won't be part of the problem.