livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] growing even more food including herbs

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Gloria Baikauskas <gcb49@flash.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] growing even more food including herbs
  • Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 09:26:11 -0800 (PST)

This is a bit of a reply.....and also answering a request from Paul that I repost what is below here on Livingontheland.

First.....You would be better off if you somehow trellised those squash plants.  They are less likely to succumb to squash bugs and such that way.  They also won't get any bad spots on them, nor mildew.

I am going to grow more tomatoes, beans, etc, to can again.  I haven't done any canning in some time because I could stretch the season's veggies enough to still have some fresh produce.  The climate is just not cooperating at the moment....so I suspect canning is a good idea.  I can also freeze, but I am worried there could be power outages and such....and that would mean a loss.

I am also going to see how well my garden grows....gardens.  I never put everything in one place.  That way I have a better chance of success.  I have smaller gardens here and there instead.  If I can manage to succeed this season through whatever Texas weather is going to throw at us.....then I plan to try to sell some of that produce.  Last couple of years one of the farms closer to the town north of us did a good business selling produce.  They are not organic.  I am.....but I won't advertise it that way.  Folks will know.

I also plan to take the hackberry trees that died in the drought that made up the treeline between me and the farm next door and bury them.  In that area there is so much leaf mold.  I can't imagine that food wouldn't grow there without much help.  Nothing has been grown there but the hackberries for 10 years.....the length of the time I have lived here.  I am not sure what I am going to plant there....maybe squash and melons...beans.  There is a barbed wire fence there that I may be able to make use of. I don't think the farm folks will care. They don't live there anyway.

One problem I am having is that my seeds are too old in some cases.  I have already had a great offer to send me some fresher seeds.  <g>  Can one ever have enough?  I did buy some, but the order had to be small because of our finances.  IOW....for some things I will have a late start....but since we have overlapping seasons here that should not be too much of a problem....I hope.

Now to that repost from another group that Paul requested.  It also has occurred to me that, if I offer some free fresh herbs to folks who buy say the squash, or tomatoes.....I may get repeat customers just for herbs.

Herb post:
Something I don't think most folks
know....that cooking with
>fresh from the garden herbs can make a so so dish
into something so
>much more.  For one thing the variety of
options...like with basil
>there are also things like orange thyme that you
won't find at the
>grocery store in a bottle.
>
>I had grown things like chives before...and
garlic....some fennel...but
>until I moved out here to my country lot I had never
grown much in the
>way of herbs.  For me it is such a grand treat to be
able to go out in
>winter and cut fresh oregano, rosemary and sage.  I
do realize that for
>many of you this is not possible because of your
climate.  Those herbs
>are perennial here in the Southern US.  In summer I
grow what I can
>find to plant...seeds if I have them, too.  I prefer
to get single
>plants so I can control how much I have growing.  I
hate waste.  I
>suppose I could dry them...but I so love cooking with
them fresh.

>Once you start doing that it spoils you.  Some of you
who have never
>grown your own herbs really need to try it.  Just do
research before
>you choose your herbs to see which ones need shade,
dappled shade, or
>will grow fine in full sun.  Here we can't grow
cilantro, except for
>spring and fall.  It can't take the Texas heat in
summer.  Lavender
>doesn't like it wet...prefers dry feet. So does
rosemary.  If you know
>that before you buy plants, or seeds, you are more
likely to be
>successful with herbs.
>
>Many herbs can be used to help when one is sick, or
injured.  Do
>research that, too.  You never know when in a pinch
it may make a huge
>difference.
>
>And...herbs do keep insects away from veggies and
flowers....and some
>diseases in that way, too. Many diseases are spread
by insects like
>aphids and whiteflies.  You will do both your
pallette and your garden
>a favor, if you add them to your gardening
experience.

>Gloria, Texas
>US
zone 8a