livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] growing even more food including herbs

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Laura McKenzie" <laurabrownmckenzie@worldnet.att.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] growing even more food including herbs
  • Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 12:46:04 -0600

Gloria,

Send me your address off list and I'll send you organic seeds. What I can send you are what I saved from the gardens last year. Because I grew Matt's Wild Cherry, I cannot guarantee the tomatoes will not be hybrids but so far I haven't had anything like that happen and I've been saving seed for years. Since I'm in Alabama, what I can send you would be fine for Texas I'm betting. I saved mostly tomato and chile seeds and only have a bit leftover that I don't need but they are yours for the asking! I even have about four Matt's seeds if you are brave and don't mind tomatoes volunteering everywhere for the rest of your days.

Second, Yes, trellising the squash is a good idea and there are areas where I will do this but I've never had trouble with pumpkins and squash bugs because I always grow the pumpkins on top of the compost pile and they are so healthy squash bugs wouldn't give them a second look. I grow very large pumpkins but room for the vine in my gardens is an issue.

Something fun that I haven't thought of until now. I glanced over a book from the library last night and a photo caught my eye. It was a pumpkin vine and pumpkin on the roof of a home. The grower trained the vine to his roof and then let the pumpkin sprawl there. I've just got to try that if nothing else than to give my kids something else to roll their eyes about <lol>. ...... Come to think of it, we live in a place where its too hot to do this. The book came out of Canada. <sigh>

Like you, I have niches here and there and everywhere. Since we don't plan on moving for 7 years (7 years for my husband to retire), I have to make do with what I have which is no soil (just sandstone and clay subsoil) and a forest of trees whose roots want my sunny spots! I do what I can. I mix everything together to encourage beneficials and discourage pests.

Laura
Laura's Homeschooling, Garden, and Genealogy Site
is found here: http://home.att.net/~ekyorigins