livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] weeds are helpful

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Gloria Baikauskas <gcb49@flash.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] weeds are helpful
  • Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 18:54:06 -0800 (PST)

I had the same problem when I moved here.....places where nothing would grow.  The problem is most likely a lack of carbon as it was with mine.  Just spread dry humate on a nonwindy day.  It is low grade soft lignite coal.  You can also add some dry molasses to fix it even more.  Once I spread the dry humate that soil would grow things again.  Plants don't use carbon, but it must be there for them to use what they do need.  It is lost most often by tilling, misuse of the land.

It may be something else....but I fixed my soil with that.  It was dead soil that was so sad.  A weed here or there....but mostly dirt...well actually mud because it rained and rained that first year causing even flooding...but nothing grew still....till I put out the dry humate.  The liquid won't do the job.  It must be the dry humate.

Hope that helps.

Gloria, Texas