livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Greywater chemistry

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "John Smith" <mikakigr@gmail.com>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Greywater chemistry
  • Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 23:47:45 +0300

Maybe the manure we put on crops also has a couple of bacteria in it?

On 5/16/06, Pat Meadows <pat@meadows.pair.com> wrote:
On Tue, 16 May 2006 15:36:32 +0200, you wrote:

>2. Does anyone think there is a problem growing cucumbers from water thus
>filtered? Much to my amazement some Chinese cucumber seeds I sowed around
>the greywater area sprouted vigorously yesterday.

Recognizing that I am probably over-cautious:  yes, I think
there might be a problem with it.  If there are fecal or
other harmful bacteria in the gray water, and there might be
(from laundry), then I think it might be a problem.  There
might be bacteria in kitchen waste too; salmonella or
something.

However, you could safely grow something there that is
always eaten cooked.  Hmmm - eggplant?  Okra?

Pat
--
Gardening in northern Pennsylvania.

Eat local food, change the world for the better!