livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Greywater chemistry

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "John Smith" <mikakigr@gmail.com>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Greywater chemistry
  • Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 23:42:09 +0300

Sorry Pat, my question was totally tongue in cheek. I thought that there was such a difference between the numbers of bacteria present in laundry water and manure. I take the point about human and carnivore wastes. I've read about humanure and it seems fascinating (not that I will be trying it...) E. coli, I think, is present in all human intestines but is very harmful if it gets into our food or water. Another half serious question is what about humanure provided by vegetarians? I should think that water which has been used as bathwater would be quite  safe. I'm not so sure about any other water - you would have to tell your household not to use bleach and other harsh chemicals - (washing machines etc) - wouldn't want all that on my organic veg! lol.

On 5/17/06, Pat Meadows <pat@meadows.pair.com> wrote:
On Tue, 16 May 2006 23:47:45 +0300, you wrote:

>Maybe the manure we put on crops also has a couple of bacteria in it?

I'm sure it does.  But in the Western World, we don't use
(untreated) human manure on crops.  We don't use dog and cat
manure in our compost or on our crops either, because they
are subject to parasites that humans can also get.

In Asia, where untreated human manure *is* used on crops,
they don't eat the vegetables raw - they always cook them.

Ken has said that BT's plan is safe, so that's good.  I was
- as I said - being very cautious.

Cheers,
Pat
--
Gardening in northern Pennsylvania.

Eat local food, change the world for the better!