livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Greywater chemistry

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "ECO FINCA" <ecofinca@hotmail.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Greywater chemistry
  • Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 18:42:50 +0000

http://www.greywater.com/

E C O
http://spaces.msn.com/ecofinca/
http://humano.ya.com/ecofinca/

----Original Message Follows----
From: BT Benjaminson <btbenj@netvision.net.il>
To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
Subject: [Livingontheland] Greywater chemistry
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 15:36:32 +0200

Dear list,
I'm cobbling together a rather casual greywater system.
Some questions
1. If the greywater is made alkaline by the presence of conventional soap,
shampoo, dishwashing detergent, or (a little) laundry detergent, can I
neutralize it by having it come in contact with some half-composted horse
manure towards the end of the process? I think that is acid and if I
remember my high school chemistry from decades ago, it would neutralize it.
This is after it filters through sand, pumice, pea gravel, gravel, and soil.

2. Does anyone think there is a problem growing cucumbers from water thus
filtered? Much to my amazement some Chinese cucumber seeds I sowed around
the greywater area sprouted vigorously yesterday.

Thanks in advance!
Bat-Tzion
Negev (semidesert) Israel