livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] selling raw milk

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Gwen Giffen" <ggiffen@1st.net>
  • To: <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] selling raw milk
  • Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 19:19:45 -0500

Gwen,
where in Ohio Are you? That Amish Dairy Farmer is
"local" to me-- he belongs to a family farm group I am
involved with! The Farmer was willing to GIVE the guy
the milk--the agent shoved the cash into his hands,
or left it on the table--

I'm in eastern OH, near Wheeling, WV. Please tell that farmer that there are a lot of other farmers rooting for him. Our Farm Bureau council has been keeping up with stories like this. We have made suggestions for resolutions for our county to vote on, related to it. I think the ODA's actions in the past few years is bordering an agenda that I'd like to know exactly what is behind it. Our USDA can't even get it together enough to manage itself right now - don't know how they're going to service the NAIS. Our local office didn't even know they were supposed to assign GPS coordinates when I called them! And the ODA seems to have a bottomless pit of money for lawyers to prosecute small farmers in the state. I for one, would like to know WHY.

I think that we need to be encouraging people to secure their OWN milk supply at every opportunity we can do so. People are just sheeple, doing the minimum.

I agree, and I have suggested to many people to get their own goats. However, most people are not going to do this, and many, many people would love to buy raw milk. I've seen health care practices and laws change within my lifetime, and I come from a political family used to challanging the system. It does work sometimes, and it is amazing and quite worth it when it does. There is no need for me to compromise my small farm before I even get it running much by catering into the ODA's litigation; and if and when it ever becomes legal for me to sell raw milk, I just might.

Gwen