livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] selling raw milk

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pego Rice <firekeeper38@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] selling raw milk
  • Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 12:01:34 -0800 (PST)

The legal situation is very complex across the
country. In some states even the "Cow Share" is
illegal, in other states you can, now, purchase raw
milk at the grocery.

While homogenization serves no real purpose beyond,
err, pretty milk that doesn't need shaking before
serving. Pasteurization did serve the excellent
purpose of remedying the formerly nasty sanitation
conditions of dairy farms in centuries past. However
the contamination's noted for raw milk are really
occurrences that can happen with any milk given any
laps in sanitation. Most of the recent outbreaks have
occurred through the production of standard
pasteurized milk, simply since it has been most
common. Current certification methods for states that
permit certification do include very high sanitation
standards.

Below is a site that is ardently "for" and will help
find milk and discuss legal situations. Sorry if I
seem a touch grumpy about that, while I am, myself
"for" because I'm one of the people who literally
cannot consume "conventionally produced" milk without
becoming quite ill, I still am very "balanced
journalism" oriented

http://realmilk.com/

Yours, Pego

<<Saw something on another list, a foolproof way to
get around the legal problem with selling raw milk.>>

<<Raw milk can be contaminated with salmonella,
campylobacter and listeria, as well as E. coli. >>