livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] selling raw milk

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Gwen Giffen" <ggiffen@1st.net>
  • To: <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] selling raw milk
  • Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 16:02:40 -0500

Saw something on another list, a foolproof way to get around the legal problem with selling raw milk. Sell the whole cow (or goat) to your customer. They pay you to keep it and milk it for them.

In Ohio, people have already been prosecuted for doing just this. There have been articles in "Farm and Dairy," out of Salem, Ohio about it.

You don't sell raw milk for human consumption do you??????????? Don't you
know that's illegal :-)? The only thing that raw milk is useful for is
bathing in. It is a beauty product. Not for human consumption, and all that.
Pasterised milk just doesn't have the same beauty results.

What do you mean someone is drinking our bathing product? There is no way I
am responsible for that!! I'll make sure I remind them next time they visit.

Mike

This is the BEST laugh I've had for a long time!!! I know people who come up with other uses for milk so they can buy it. This is PERFECT.

The Ohio Department of Agriculture is currently embroiled in a lawsuit against an established dairy - Grade A or B - in an "entrapment" case. Someone stopped by his farm asking to buy some raw milk, and he said "No." They guy didn't take "No," for an answer, and got him a jar. They dairyman told him it might be legal to give it to him for free, but the guy wouldn't leave without paying something like $2 for a quart of raw milk. The guy who showed up at the farm turned out to be an agent, and this was the basis of prosecuting the farmer and putting him out of business. This is really happening in our state.

I've recently been asked for goat milk by people whom I am pretty sure really just want goat milk, but I refuse to give it to them or sell it to them - either one. I don't even have a dairy.

The regulating agency that makes laws about selling raw milk in Ohio are all appointed offices. I've made a suggestion to Farm Bureau that these regulating agencies be rearranged to have publicly elected positions. Last month's discussion in our Farm Bureau meeting was wether or not we thought some issues ought to be taken to the public vote. Farm Bureau may come out that they oppose public votes on some issues, but our council was in favor of it, after a lengthy and interesting discussion about how "intelligent" and easily swayed the general public is (or isn't). I've done some research, and I think a lot more of our health issues ought to be decided by elected officials too - such as the raw milk one.

What do you think?

Gwen