internetworkers - Why home phone service at all? RE: [internetworkers] TW Phone Service?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Jeremy Portzer <jeremyp AT pobox.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Why home phone service at all? RE: [internetworkers] TW Phone Service?
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 09:54:05 -0500

On Tue, 2004-01-06 at 09:52, Shea Tisdale wrote:
> I have received an offer from TW to get their phone service and I was
> considering it because I hate verizon. But I just don't make that many
> calls to make it worth while. I've thought about just disconnecting my home
> service entirely.
>
> One question I do have is regarding 911/emergency service. I'm very
> hesitant to think that switching entirely is a good idea because of TW
> service outages. I still get occasional cable tv/cable modem outages and I
> would guess that would mean no phone service as well.

If you already have broadband Internet, and a cell phone, why have a
home phone at all? I've been without a home phone for over a year now
and am doing just fine. My cell phone gets very good coverage at my
apartment -- I realize that cell phone coverage is sometimes an issue
for folks -- and I'm not too worried about 911 service. Sure, the cell
phone technology can't pinpoint the location as exactly as a landline
phone, but the chances of needing that aspect of 911 service is
extremely low. (Unless I'm totally dead, I really ought to be able to
relay my address!)

--Jeremy

| Jeremy Portzer jeremyp AT pobox.com trilug.org/~jeremy |
| GPG Fingerprint: 712D 77C7 AB2D 2130 989F E135 6F9F F7BC CC1A 7B92 |