internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] TW Phone Service?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Sil Greene <Sil_greene AT unc.edu>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] TW Phone Service?
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 11:21:57 -0500 (EST)

Michael Czeiszperger wrote:
.:> Is anyone considering using the upcoming phone service from TW?
.:> Unlimited local and long distance phone service, including caller ID
.:> and call waiting for only $39.95/month if you already have their
.:> internet service. ($44.95 if you don't) This might be enough to coax
.:> me into getting a home phone again.

to which Shea Tisdale replied:
.:One question I do have is regarding 911/emergency service. I'm very
.:hesitant to think that switching entirely is a good idea because of TW
.:service outages. I still get occasional cable tv/cable modem outages and I
.:would guess that would mean no phone service as well.

This is an excellent point. VoIP services have a long way to go before
they are truly replacements for traditional POTS lines. Cell systems,
too, for that matter. The nice thing about traditional POTS is that a
small-area outage won't affect it. Sure, your portable handset won't work
if your power's out, but any hardwired phone made since 1930 should do.
(Warning: date inaccurate; pulled directly from *ss.)

This means, if your neighborhood power is out, you can still call the
power company to report it; emergency services to get police or ambulance
services; or your family to let them know you're ok. You can't do that
with today's VoIP, and you can only do it with cell as long as your tower
has power and your battery keeps its charge.

On the other hand, AFAIK, if your residence has a traditional POTS
connection, EVEN IF you aren't subscribed, you can still plug in a
handset and dial 911. So even if you kill your landline POTS service and
take VoIP (through Vonage, TWC or whoever), in the event of a localized
power outage you should still have access to emergency services. What
does this mean? This means your emergency preparedness kit should include
a standard $5 hardwired phone handset. Just In Case.

And I love TWCdigitalphone's subscriber agreement; here are some choice
bits... regarding emergency services:

>>> 2. General
>>>
>>> (d) Subscriber expressly acknowledges that the Digital Phone Service
>>> does not have its own power source and will not be available without
>>> an independent power supply and that, under certain circumstances,
>>> including if the electrical power and/or Operator.s cable network or
>>> facilities are not operating, the Digital Phone Service, including
>>> the ability to access emergency 911 services, will not be available.
>>>
>>> (e) Subscriber expressly acknowledges that the Digital Phone Service
>>> is not compatible with home security systems and that, in order to
>>> maintain any necessary alarm monitoring functions, Subscriber must
>>> maintain a telephone connection through its local exchange carrier.

(quoted from http://www.twcdigitalphone.com/raleigh/subagreement.htm)

This is even worse; I would never agree to clause (d). Basically, you
agree they may enter your home with no restrictions on advance notice.

>>> 4. Installation; Equipment and Cabling
>>>
>>> (d) Operator and its authorized agents may enter Subscriber's premises
>>> and have access to the Operator Equipment and Subscriber's computer(s)
>>> periodically during the term of this Agreement and after its
>>> termination to install, connect, inspect, maintain, repair, replace
>>> or alter the Operator Equipment, to install or deliver the Software,
>>> or to disconnect and remove the Operator Equipment.
>>>
>>> (e) Operator shall have the right to upgrade, modify and enhance the
>>> Operator Equipment and Software from time to time through "downloads"
>>> from the network or otherwise.

Ugh. One more ...

>>> 5. Subscriber Conduct
>>>
>>> (b) The Digital Phone Service shall not be used for any unlawful
>>> purpose or for any use as to which Subscriber or user has not obtained
>>> all required governmental approvals, authorizations, licenses,
>>> consents and permits.

WHAT????!!!?? Hey, I've already got all required government approvals
for anything that comes out of my mouth: First Amendment. **sholes.

Thanks, TimeWarner, but though you may call it Service, I only smell
horsesh*t. Is anyone actually considering this?

--Sil

--
"If you put your supper dish to your ears you can hear the sounds
of a restaurant." --Snoopy (Charles Schultz 02-12-2000 RIP)