internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Mobile Phone Safety [was Re: Why home phone service at all?]

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Sil Greene <Sil_greene AT unc.edu>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Mobile Phone Safety [was Re: Why home phone service at all?]
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 14:02:50 -0500 (EST)

Jeremy,

I think you're getting slightly confused in the details... You're right
about twisted pair, though note the difference between STP (Shielded
Twisted Pair) and the more common (less expensive) UTP (Unshielded Twisted
Pair).

Mark's phone conversation was carried out over the ethernet; it was
another cell conversation that is posited as having caused the
interference, since the cell transmitter was positioned in the ceiling
near the ethernet run.

Thus, the theory was not that the ethernet interfered with the cell, but
that the cell interfered with the ethernet.

--Sil, also not an e.e., but with no real plans (and only a vague,
dissipating interest) in getting there one of these days. :)

Reported 04.01.12 13:52 from Jeremy Portzer: