internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Mobile Phone Safety [was Re: Why home phone service at all?]

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Jeremy Portzer <jeremyp AT pobox.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Mobile Phone Safety [was Re: Why home phone service at all?]
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 13:52:35 -0500

On Wed, 2004-01-07 at 13:35, Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> Mark Turner wrote:
>
> > <radio geek talk>
> >
> > It's quite possible that his phone was being used close to the CAT5
> > cable my phone was using, since he was working in the ceiling. His phone
> > may have interfered with the frequencies on the Ethernet cable.
> >
> > </radio geek talk>
>
> Ah, that makes a lot more sense. I hadn't realized he was in the
> ceiling near the ethernet cable. Of course, since we're using
> a weird form of VoE (voice over ethernet, since we didn't by
> the voice over IP module), it probably messed up the ethernet
> transmissions.

Ethernet cables normally don't emit or accept any radiation, the
"twisted pair" nature of the cables dampens most radiation emission (and
also acts as a shield). The more twists, the better. Not saying it
isn't possible, but it's not likely.

Here are some much more likely sources of interference:
Ballasts from flourescent light fixtures
El-cheapo light dimmer switches (not as likely to be found in offices)
UPS equipment
Improperly shielded CRTs (Computer monitors, TVs, etc)
Improperly shielded industrial equipment of many different types

> Sure. Just make sure you don't miss out on something worthwhile
> while being careful.

Agreed with that. Note that the interference that Mark was receiving
was interfering with his *reception* of the cell phone signal from the
tower. It had nothing to do with the transmitting circuit which is the
circuit that could possibly cause any harm to human health.

--Jeremy (not an e.e. but working in that direction one of these days)
| Jeremy Portzer jeremyp AT pobox.com trilug.org/~jeremy |
| GPG Fingerprint: 712D 77C7 AB2D 2130 989F E135 6F9F F7BC CC1A 7B92 |