internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Our Unsatisfactory contest

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Chris Hedemark <chris AT yonderway.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Our Unsatisfactory contest
  • Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 14:54:58 -0400

(this thread is winding down now, I promise)

On Thursday, October 17, 2002, at 02:01 PM, Tanner Lovelace wrote:

Well, if Chris won't say it, then I will, at least for myself.
I'm also on the TriLUG Steering Committee and the question came
up about this message from Chris himself:

Hi Tanner,

Actually that wasn't the incident that I had in mind. We had a problem with someone from IBM pushing the boundaries of "free speech" back in July. This was not a thread that I was materially involved with. My response to the SC was:

I am loathe to censor the list, but I would have been comfortable approaching [person] to try to cool him off. If he continues being a problem I volunteer to represent the SC's interests in the matter.

I also said (in another thread to the SC):

The only thing that personally bothers me on the mailing lists is vulgar
profanity. This is because we have people of all ages on the mailing
list, and I'd hate for parents to keep their children off of the lists
because of language. But on the flip side I'd rather have vulgar
language on the lists than censorship.

If my stance on mailing list censorship is going to be put under the microscope, I at least want my stance represented fairly.

Chris Hedemark
Hillsborough, NC
http://yonderway.com