internetworkers - [internetworkers] The dynamics of online forums (was: Our Unsatisfactory contest)

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Diana Duncan <art2mis AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [internetworkers] The dynamics of online forums (was: Our Unsatisfactory contest)
  • Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 09:39:58 -0400

I did find it interesting that I was just listening to "The Connection"
earlier in the week, which talked about just this sort of thing.

"...picture the online equivalent of a barroom brawl..."

http://www.theconnection.org/shows/2002/10/20021016_b_main.asp

Of course, the difference with Internetworkers is that it is anything but
anonymous. Most of us have met one another at least once...so you can't
really hide. I like that, it seems to keep it more civil - except when new
people throw the balance out. That was one of the topics on the show. It
takes any new member a while to suss out the dynamics of any particular
online gathering. Plus, old members get tired of the same old same old, and
move on. 'Tis the life of any organization, online or not.

Personally, I hope that Dave comes back after a cooling off period. Some of
my favorite posts have been his rants.

Diana (my real name)